In-depth research will help you develop a marketing plan, target your search appropriately and make you a better networker and interviewer. The more you know about the specific market (industry, segment and/or company), the more credible a candidate you become. Thorough knowledge will not only make you a better candidate, it will also help you focus your efforts on companies that fit your interests, style, personality and skills.
It is important to understand the industry or market segment you are targeting so that you can understand the opportunities and barriers facing you. Some of the questions you might consider during your research include:
- What are some of the key issues facing this segment/company?
- What companies are "up and coming" in this industry/segment?
- Who are the leaders? Who are the losers? Why?
- On what basis are companies competing?
- What is the single most important factor in securing a job with in this industry/company?
- What are some of the exciting areas to be working in throughout this industry/company?
- What qualities or experiences are required to succeed in this industry/company?
To answer these questions, learn more about companies and develop your marketing plan, you will need to make use of: