The University of Virginia School Turnaround Program is a three-year district and school leadership development program.
The program aims to create the system-wide infrastructure necessary to quickly, dramatically and sustainably improve student performance.
- A systemic approach and district ownership is key to success.
- School Leadership makes the difference in turnaround
- Sustained change requires ongoing support and accountability
PLANNING YEAR: RETHINKING THE SYSTEM TO SET THE STAGE
- Thought-partners in identifying district needs and developing opportunities to build capacity
- A rigorous selection process to identify school leaders that possess the competencies necessary to lead school turnaround
- World-class executive education to inspire district leaders to embolden their turnaround plans and rethink the relationship between district and schools.
REIGNITING LEADERS TO CO-CREATE SUCCESS
- 2 Summer Executive Education Programs dedicated to igniting change in organizational structure and leadership practice
- 2 Winter Executive Education Programs to strengthen teamwork, increase empowerment among change agents and to drive strategic mid-course corrections
- 2 on-site Spring Retreats to help leadership process the lessons learned and determine changes necessary to drive the transformation process
YEARS 1 & 2: REDESIGN AND TRANSFORM PRACTICE
- Continuous support from the PLE throughout the school year to guide the implementation of the turnaround initiative
- On-site visits to support district and school leaders in assessing the progress and identifying next steps
- Customized support from experienced professionals that have done the work and seen success
Achieve & Sustain Meaningful Results
- Help identifying successful approaches that can be used to transform system-wide practice and inform further system redesign
- Spring Sustainability Retreat
- Achieve initial results that inspire what is possible. Over half our partner schools achieve double-digit gains in two years or less, with many examples of dramatic and sustained success