In this online course, you'll work through a 15-step problem-solving process using design methodologies and innovation tools. Through recorded video instruction and peer review, you'll apply each of these steps to solve your challenge. You'll study real-life case studies that show design thinking in action, for organizations both large and small, in corporate and nonprofit settings. Community forums and peer feedback will help you develop a range of innovative solutions to your challenge.
This course uses a project field book that we will put to use immediately in week one. The book is called The Designing for Growth Field Book: A Step-by-Step Project Guide and is available on Amazon.
Upon successful completion of the course, participants are eligible to receive a Statement of Accomplishment from the University of Virginia Darden School Foundation.
The requirements for successful completion include:
- Watching all course videos
- Thoughtful participation in the course forum; at least one forum post per week
- Successful upload of the five deliverables identified: Design Brief, Design Criteria, Assumptions, Napkin Pitch, and Learning Launch
- Completion of the end-of-course survey
Design Thinking at Work
Here are just a handful of examples of how organizations use design thinking to solve their biggest challenges.
Redesign internal processes:
- Develop a new employee evaluation system.
- Streamline a customer call center system.
- Enliven strategic planning processes.
Deepen customer/stakeholder engagement:
- Create powerful co-creation conversations with customers.
- Improve the sales tool kit.
Address pressing social sector issues:
- Improve meal delivery to the elderly.
- Revitalize urban spaces.
Improve education and leadership development:
- Embed new capabilities for creative thinking in organizations.
- Create new social networking models.
This course is open to professionals from any industry who want to problem solve more creatively using new methods and tools. No prior experience with design thinking is necessary.
Please note: participants will need to devote approximately 20 hours to this program in total (including watching the video instruction and completing assignments), over the course of eight weeks.
Over the eight weeks of this program, participants will view a total of six hours of recorded video instruction and complete about 14 hours of field work, assignments and peer-to-peer project evaluation.
This program features:
- Carefully crafted video instruction in the systematic 15-step process
- Community forums to support participant progress
- Selected readings from best-selling textbook
- Engaging stories showcasing design thinking at work
- Interviews with successful designers
- Video-based tool kit library
- Peer review and feedback at milestone points