Drive Business Growth and Innovation: Mindsets, Behaviors and Tools confronts head-on the conundrum between operational excellence and innovation from cultural, processes and tolerance-for-failure perspectives. Based on Professors Liedtka and Hess' heralded book, The Physics of Business Growth (Stanford University Press, 2012), the program frames growth and innovation from three perspectives:
- The right mindsets: leaders, managers and employees
- The right system: culture, structure, behaviors, measurements and rewards
- The right processes: Learning, discovery, exploration, experimentation, constant improvement and portfolio management
Over the course of the week, participants will learn concepts from leading growth companies and leaders and, as importantly, apply those concepts in more than 14 hours of workshops - learning by doing - to their organizations.
- "Darden: Winning in a Down Economy" in The Washington Post Capital Business, by Darden Professor Jeanne Liedtka.
- "How to Innovate - Without a Miracle" on Forbes.com, by Darden Professor Jeanne Liedtka
- "8 Ways to Coax New Ideas to the Surface" on Fast Company.com, co-authored by Darden Professors Edward D. Hess and Jeanne M. Liedtka
- "3 Ways Successful People Prioritize Their To-Do Lists" on Fast Company.com, by Darden Professor Ed Hess
- "Creating an Innovation Culture: Accepting Failure Is Necessary" on Forbes.com, by Darden Professor Ed Hess
- "Designing for Growth - Apple Does It, So Can You" on Forbes.com, by Darden Professor Jeanne Liedtka
- "An Epidemic of Failing to Manage Growth" on Forbes.com, by Darden Professor Ed Hess
- The Physics of Business Growth: Mindsets, System, and Processes, by Darden Professors Edward D. Hess and Jeanne Liedtka
About the Book
The course is based on the book The Physics of Business Growth: Mindsets, System, and Processes (Stanford University Press, 2012). The two co-authors, Jeanne M. Liedtka and Edward D. Hess, are both Darden professors who also teach this Executive Education program. The book presents more than 18 years' worth of research on how successful new growth actually happens in organizations.
"Ed Hess and Jeanne Liedtka are leaders of an unheralded revolution in strategic thinking. Behind their plainspoken explanations and practical recommendations lies a systematic approach to driving growth that is elegant in its conception, powerful in its economics, and well-supported by experience."
- Michael Balay, Vice President, Strategy & Business Development, Cargill Incorporated
"In a time when business books are attempting to provide the 'magic pill' to driving growth, Hess & Liedtka give us something much more insightful - the laws that govern it. The Physics of Business Growth will challenge assumptions, upend beliefs and, in the end, leave leaders better prepared to face tomorrow's uncertainty head-on."
- Andre Martin, Chief Learning Officer, Mars Incorporated
Participants will gain new skills and cutting-edge knowledge in the areas of growth strategies, growth systems, and innovation exploration, discovery and experimentation processes. Specifically, attendees will:
- Learn about a growth mindset.
- Design a diversified growth portfolio for their businesses.
- Use tools for creating and propelling growth.
- Assess and develop a plan to improve their internal systems to sustain growth.
- Learn entrepreneurial thinking/how to generate their own growth ideas.
- Understand leadership challenges in implementing new growth strategies.
- Learn how to launch growth experiments.
Each participant will receive a copy of Hess and Liedtka's book, The Physics of Business Growth: Mindsets, System and Processes (Stanford University Press, 2012), as a program pre-read.