In Leading Innovation: Transform Yourself, Your Team and Your Organization, leaders learn to think more creatively and promote a culture that supports innovation. Taught by Jim Clawson, one of Darden's distinguished leadership and organizational behavior experts, this program also features Michael Gelb, an internationally renowned speaker, best-selling author and consultant for top executives.
- Improve their creative thinking skills and leverage those skills to effect change.
- Learn how to lead innovation.
- Return to work with an immediately actionable innovation plan for their organizations.
"It's not a course that simply builds on top of an existing foundation. It challenges your basic beliefs and premises to force/encourage self-innovation, in order to be creative and to show you the huge difference you can make, no matter your role or position in the company."
"This program was the most inspiring and thought-provoking leadership program I have ever attended. I felt honored!"
Regional Vice President and Branch Manager
Admiral Insurance Co.
"Certainly a must for anyone who wants to manage and lead, but it is for everyone who wants to improve themselves and their life too."
Director, Supply Chain Management
Executives, managers and directors from any industry or organization type will benefit from the program. It is recommended for those who want to:
- Strengthen their abilities to think creatively and implement innovation in their organizations.
- Use innovative strategies to lead positive change and increase opportunities for growth.
- Overcome organizational inertia and resistance to innovation.
Sample Participant Titles
- Directors (all functions)
- General Managers
- Managers (all areas)
- Strategy and Innovation Advisers
- Senior Vice Presidents/Vice Presidents (all functions)
- Chief Operating Officers
Organizations Recently Represented
- The Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ Ltd.
- Capital One Bank (Europe) PLC
- Freddie Mac
- Macy's Corporate Services Inc.
- Microsoft Corp.
- National Science Foundation
- Porsche Cars North America
- Saudi Telecom Co.
- State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Co.
- Universidad Torcuato Di Tella
- U.S. Army
James G. Clawson
Johnson & Higgins Professor of Business Administration
A teacher of leadership and organizational behavior for more than three decades, Clawson is frequently cited by former students for delivering some of the most influential courses of their Darden careers - and one Darden alumnus named a classroom in his honor. Clawson formerly worked as a trainer for Mobil Oil Company in Japan and as an international banking officer for Wells Fargo Bank. He remains an active consultant for public and private organizations from a broad range of industries around the world. His numerous publications include the books Level Three Leadership and Balancing Your Life: Executive Lessons for Work, Family and Self, and Powered by Feel: How Individuals, Teams and Companies Excel co-authored with Doug Newburg. Clawson holds a DBA from Harvard Business School, an MBA from Brigham Young University and a B.A. from Stanford University.
Faculty Bio Page
Michael J. Gelb
Internationally Renowned Author, Speaker and Consultant
A professional speaker since 1978, Gelb is the world's leading authority on the application of genius thinking to personal and organizational development. He is a pioneer in the fields of creative thinking, innovative leadership and accelerated learning. Besides Innovate Like Edison (used in this course), he is author of 11 other books, including the bestselling How to Think Like Leonardo da Vinci: Seven Steps to Genius Every Day. A corporate coach and consultant for a diverse array of organizations, including Fortune 500 companies, his clients have included British Petroleum, DuPont, Merck, Microsoft, IBM, Nike and The Young Presidents Organization. Through his unique and creative approach, he has helped countless top executives, including many CEOs, solve some of their most important business challenges. Gelb is a fourth degree black belt in the Japanese martial art of Aikido, as well as a former professional juggler who once performed with the Rolling Stones and Bob Dylan.
Full bio and website
Complete faculty information
Participants identify critical innovation challenges and discover how to generate solutions. They learn how to:
- Be more creative and create an innovative culture.
- Develop and apply communication skills to overcome resistance to innovation.
- Develop strategies that create more value for all stakeholders.
- Collaborate to "get out of silos" and build team synergy.
- Think outside of habitual patterns.
- Understand the common barriers to innovation and how to overcome them.
- Manage change intelligently.
- Craft a vision, mission, values and strategy.