Emphasize the value to your sponsor. Present your case from your employer's point of view in terms of applied skills, increased contacts and/or internal transfer of knowledge.
- Start early. This process can take longer than you think, especially in larger organizations where multiple reviews are required.
- Know your sponsor's policy. Research your company's leadership development and tuition reimbursement policies where applicable.
- Be willing to negotiate. Consider how you can use vacation time or make a longer-term commitment to your sponsor.
- Have a plan for work disruption. Prepare your colleagues, subordinates and others for time away, or change your schedule.
- Treat your request like a business proposal. Prepare a professional project proposal complete with objectives, measures, process and expectations after graduation.
Visit the EMBA Sponsorship website to learn more.