Anton Ovchinnikov is an expert in the areas of management science, decision analysis and operations management. His research interests include, on the theoretical side, behavioral operations, revenue management, environmental sustainability and multiple criteria decision making. On the applied side, he studies data-driven applications in business, government and nonprofit sectors. His work has been published in the leading academic journals; his case studies won the 2005 and 2011 Case Competitions held by the Institute of Operations Research and Management Sciences (INFORMS); and one of his papers was recognized as the finalist of the INFORMS 2009 Junior Faculty Best Paper Competition.
Prior to joining Darden, he taught management science and supply chain management at the master's and executive levels at the University of Toronto’s Joseph L. Rotman School of Management and received multiple teaching awards there. He holds a PhD in operations management from the University of Toronto. Before starting his academic career, he worked in Germany, the Netherlands and Russia in the area of commercializing high-tech developments and co-owned a business in industrial and architectural design.
Multiple Criteria Decision Making
Probability and Statistics
Global Expertise: Russia and Post-Soviet Countries: Business, Culture, Political System and Society
MBA Core, "Decision Analysis"
MBA for Executives Core, "Decision Analysis"
MBA Elective, "Data Analysis and Optimization
Executive Education Courses
Strategic Decision Making
Faculty Leader Roles with Clients in Emerging Markets
- "Environmental Taxation and the Choice of GreenTechnology: Oligopoly Case" with Dmitry Krass
- "Economic and Environmental Assessment of Remanufacturing in Competitive Settings" with Gal Raz and Vered Blass.
“Timeshare Exchange Fair”, with Scott Sampson and Dmitry Krass, UVA-QA-0709, 0710
- Teaching note UVA-QA-0709TN
- Supplement spreadsheet UVA-S-QA-0709
- This case is the winner of the INFORMS 2005 Case Competition
“Crawford Development Co. and Southeast Bank of Texas”, with Elena Loutskina, UVA-QA-0727
- Teaching note UVA-QA-0727TN
- Supplement spreadsheet UVA-S-QA-0727
“c-Energy’s Red Hill plant: Meeting the SO2 challenge” UVA-QA-0726
- Teaching note UVA-QA-0726TN
- Supplement spreadsheet UVA-S-QA-0726
"Flora (A) and (B)", with Sam Bodily, UVA-QA-0754, 0755
- Teaching note, UVA-QA-0754TN
- Supplement spreadsheet, UVA-QA-0754X, 0755X
- This case is the winner of the INFORMS 2011 Case Competition
"Bloomex.ca Logistics Optimization", with Sam Bodily, UVA-QA-0760
- Supplement spreadsheet, UVA-QA-0760X
"R&D Project Selection at NorthBancTec", UVA-QA-0762
- Supplement spreadsheet, UVA-QA-0762X
"The IQ Experiment", with Phil Pfeifer, UVA-QA-0770
- Supplement spreadsheet, UVA-QA-0770X
- Teaching note, UVA-QA-0770TN
"Nils Baker", with Phil Pfeifer, UVA-QA-0793
- Supplement spreadsheet, UVA-QA-0793X
- Teaching note, UVA-QA-0793TN
"Wells Fargo: Solar Energy for Los Angeles Branches (A) and (B)", with Anastasiya Hvaleva, UVA-QA-0800, UVA-QA-0801
"Modeling Discrete Choice: Categorical Dependent Variables, Logistic Regression and Maximum Likelihood Estimation", UVA-QA-0779
- Supplement spreadsheet, UVA-QA-0779X
"Spreadsheet Modeling Exercises", with Phil Pfeifer, UVA-QA-0775
- Supplement spreadsheet, UVA-QA-0775X
"Using Binary Variables to Represent Logical Conditions in Optimization Models", UVA-QA-0786
"Opera House" simulations
"Steps in building a Crystal Ball decision model"