Elena Loutskina, assistant professor of business administration, teaches in the Finance area. Her research focuses on the impact of the securitization markets on the financial management of financial and nonfinancial corporations. She also does research in the area of venture capital and innovation.
Alongside numerous academic conferences, she was invited to present her research at the Federal Reserve Bank, Federal Reserve Board, International Monetary Fund, European Central Bank and Banque de France. Her research was cited in the Financial Times, received Best Paper Awards and a number of grants, including one from Kauffman Foundation in the area of entrepreneurial studies and one from Banque de France in the area of securitization.
Prior to joining Darden, Loutskina taught at the undergraduate and graduate levels at Carroll School of Management, Boston College, where she received the Donald J. White Teaching Excellence Award. Before starting her academic career, she worked at Cambridge Associates LLC and the National Bank of Belarus.
Banking and Securitization
Venture Capital and Innovation
Entrepreneurial Finance and Private Equity
First Year Finance
- "Investure, LLC, And Smith College," with Susan Chaplinsky
- "Polaris Management: The Logstør Rør A/S Journey," with Susan
Chaplinsky and Julie Engell
- "Western Asset Arbitrage," with Rahul Prabhu, Darden'08
- "Crawford Development Co. And Southeast Bank of Texas," with
- "Cycle Capital Partners And Fortress Buildings, Inc.," with
- "Wm. Wrigley Jr. Company," with Georgy Shapovalov Darden'10
- "Mars, Incorporated," with Georgy Shapovalov, Darden'10
- Multimedia application for Merger Negotiation Exercise based on
"Wm. Wrigley Jr. Company" and "Mars, Incorporated." cases
- "Husk Power Systems: Financing Expansion," with Manoj Sinha,
- "Sun Microsystems," with Eric Varney, Darden'10.
- "Adverse Selection in Securitization: Myth or Reality?" with Yulia Demyanyk, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- "How Complexity Impacts Innovation," with Raul Chao, UVA, Darden School.
- "Agency Cost of Overvalued Equity as an Explanation for the Accrual Anomaly," with S.P. Kothari, MIT, and Valeri Nikolaev, University of Chicago.
- "The Role of Venture Capital Backing in Initial Public Offerings: Certification, Screening, or Market Power? " with Thomas J. Chemmanur, Boston College,
- "Corporate Venture Capital, Value Creation, and Innovation," with Thomas J. Chemmanur, Boston College, and Xuan Tian, Indiana Bloomington.