Elena Loutskina, assistant professor of business administration, teaches in the Finance area. Her research focuses on the impact of the securitization markets on the financial management of financial and nonfinancial corporations. She also does research in the area of venture capital and innovation.
Alongside numerous academic conferences, she was invited to present her research at the Federal Reserve Bank, Federal Reserve Board, International Monetary Fund, European Central Bank and Banque de France. Her research was cited in the Financial Times, received Best Paper Awards and a number of grants, including one from Kauffman Foundation in the area of entrepreneurial studies and one from Banque de France in the area of securitization.
Prior to joining Darden, Loutskina taught at the undergraduate and graduate levels at Carroll School of Management, Boston College, where she received the Donald J. White Teaching Excellence Award. Before starting her academic career, she worked at Cambridge Associates LLC and the National Bank of Belarus.
Banking and Securitization
Venture Capital and Innovation
Entrepreneurial Finance and Private Equity
First Year Finance
- "Securitization and the Declining Impact of Bank Finance on Loan Supply: Evidence from Mortgage Originations," with Philip E. Strahan, 2009, Journal of Finance Vol. 64, pp. 861-889.
- "The Role of Securitization in Bank Liquidity and Funding Management," 2011, Journal of Financial Economics Vol. 100, pp.663-684.
- "Informed and Uninformed Investment in Housing: the Downside of Diversification," with Philip E. Strahan, Boston College, 2011 Review of Financial Studies Vol. 24 (5), pp. 1447-1480.
- "Corporate Venture Capital, Value Creation, and Innovation," with Thomas J. Chemmanur, Boston College, and Xuan Tian, Indiana Bloomington; resubmitted to the Review of Financial Studies.
- "Financial Integration, Housing and Economic Volatility," with Philip E. Strahan, Boston College; revise and resubmit from the Journal of Financial Economics.
- "Mortgage Companies and Regulatory Arbitrage," with Yuliya Demyanyk, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland; resubmitted to the Journal of Finance.
- "Exporting Liquidity: Branch Banking and Financial Integration," with Eric Gilje, University of Pennsylvania Wharton and Philip E. Strahan, Boston College.
- "Agency Cost of Overvalued Equity as an Explanation for the Accrual Anomaly," with S.P. Kothari, MIT, and Valeri Nikolaev, University of Chicago.
- "How Complexity Impacts Innovation," with Raul Chao, UVA, Darden School.
- "The Role of Venture Capital Backing in Initial Public Offerings: Certification, Screening, or Market Power? " with Thomas J. Chemmanur, Boston College.
- "Investure, LLC, And Smith College," with Susan Chaplinsky
- "Polaris Management: The Logstør Rør A/S Journey," with Susan
Chaplinsky and Julie Engell
- "Western Asset Arbitrage," with Rahul Prabhu, Darden'08
- "Crawford Development Co. And Southeast Bank of Texas," with
- "Cycle Capital Partners And Fortress Buildings, Inc.," with
- "Wm. Wrigley Jr. Company," with Georgy Shapovalov Darden'10
- "Mars, Incorporated," with Georgy Shapovalov, Darden'10
- Multimedia application for Merger Negotiation Exercise based on
"Wm. Wrigley Jr. Company" and "Mars, Incorporated." cases
- "Husk Power Systems: Financing Expansion," with Manoj Sinha,
- "Sun Microsystems," with Eric Varney, Darden'10.