Associate Professor of Business Administration Gal Raz teaches Operations at Darden. His research focuses on supply chain strategy including supply chain pricing and contracts and public policy implications of supply chain management such as sustainability and health care. His research has been published in academic journals such as Management Science and Production and Operations Management. He serves as a referee for Management Science, Operations Research, Manufacturing and Service Operations Management (M&SOM) and Production and Operations Management (POM).
From 2007 to 2009, he served as the president of the Junior Faculty Interest Group (JFIG) at the Institute of Operations Research and Management Science (INFORMS) and in 2009 received the INFORMS Moving Spirit Service Award for his work with JFIG. Raz was involved in numerous consulting projects with many companies on topics relating to supply chain management and quantitative modeling in Australia, the United States and Israel.
Prior to joining the Darden School, he was on the faculty of the Australian Graduate School of Management in Sydney.
Raz, G. and E. Porteus (2006) ― "A Fractiles Perspective to the Joint Price/Quantity Newsvendor Model". – Management Science 52 (11), 1764 – 1777.
Laseter T., A. Ovchinnikov, and G. Raz (2010) ― "Reduce, Reuse, Recycle…or Rethink ," – Strategy + Business 61, 28 – 32.
Özer, O. and G. Raz (2011) ― "Supply Chain Sourcing Under Asymmetric Information"– Production and Operations Management 20 (1), 92 – 115.
Raz, G. and M. Schlosser (2011) – “Case in Point: How a business can make recycling profitable, as well as noble” – Washington Post.
Raz, G., C. Druehl and V. Blass (2013) – "Design for the Environment – Life Cycle Approach Using a Newsvendor Model" ― Production and Operations Management 22 (4), 940-957.
Kraft, T. and G. Raz (2014) - "Case in Point: In Reusable Water Bottle Industry, Dealing with a Possible Toxic Problem" - Washington Post.
Ovchinnikov, A., G. Raz and V. Blass (2013) – "Economic and Environmental Assessment of Refurbishing Strategies for Product-Service Bundles" – Production and Operations Management 23(5), 744-761.
Under Review and Working Papers:
“The Effect of Environmental Regulation on DfE Innovation: Assessing Social Cost in Primary and Secondary Markets” – with C. Druehl and V. Blass – Under Review in Production and Operations Management.
“Economic and Environmental Assessment of Remanufacturing in a Competitive Setting”– with A. Ovchinnikov and V. Blass – Under Review in Production and Operations Management.
“Competing on Toxicity: The Impact of Supplier Prices and Regulation on Manufacturers' Substance Replacement Strategies”– with T. Kraft. – in preparation for submission to Production and Operations Management
Modeling of Operational Issues
Supply Chain Management
Public Policy Applications of Operations Management
Health Care Management
Israel – Business, Culture and society, Political System Arab-Israeli
Full-time MBA, Operations core
Full-time MBA, Supply Chain Management elective
Full-time MBA, Global Innovation and Technology Commercialization elective (Part of Darden GBE to Israel)
• Course description and tentative itinerary
• Projects with start-up companies
MBA for Executives, Operations Core
MBA for Executives, Supply Chain Management elective
Global MBA for Executives, Operations Core
Executive Education Courses
Business Resource Management Program
Advanced Management Program
- Passover in Costa Rica, UVA-OM-1372
- Kulicke and Soffa Industries – Designing a Supply Chain Network – with Yemen G., and Davidson M., UVA-OM-1406
- Sandvik Coromant Recycling Concept – with Schlosser M., UVA-OM-1407
- The Adidas Group: Retail Supply Chain and Reebok Integration – with Mike Feller, UVA-OM-1408
- Kulicke and Soffa Industries Inc. in China – Knowledge Transfer (A) – with Yemen G., and Davidson M., UVA-OM-1410
- Kulicke and Soffa Industries Inc. in China – Knowledge Transfer (B) – with Yemen G., and Davidson M., UVA-OM-1411
- Kulicke and Soffa Industries Inc. in China – Knowledge Transfer (A) and (B) Abridged – with Yemen G., and Davidson M., UVA-OM-1500
- Eastman Tritan –with Allison Elias and Tim Kraft, UVA-OM-1494 - Winner of the 2013 INFORMS Annual Case Competition
- Picante Mexican Grill: A New Delhi Experience– with Gerry Yemen, Elliott Weiss, Raj Venkatesan, and Sam Bodily
- Uncle Coco’s Magic Shop, UVA-OM-1457
Research in Progress
“The impact of environmental taxes on firms’ environmental innovation” – with C. Druehl and V. Doctori-Blass.
"Properties of Decentralized Supply Chains for the Price-Setting Newsvendor Problem" – with E. L. Porteus
Darden faculty member Gal Raz discusses how operations and problem-solving inform his research.