Pedro Matos is an Associate Professor in at Darden's Finance area. His research focuses on international corporate governance and the growing importance of institutional investors in financial markets worldwide. His work has been published in the Journal of Finance, the Journal of Financial Economics and the Review of Financial Studies. It has been featured also in the press, including in The Economist, The Financial Times, the New York Times, the Washington Post, Fortune and Forbes. He has received numerous research grants and is a Research Associate at the European Corporate Governance Institute (ECGI).
He previously taught at the University of Southern California, Marshall School of Business where he received a Golden Apple teaching award. He holds a BA in Economics from Nova University in Lisbon (Portugal) and a PhD in Finance from INSEAD in Fontainebleau (France). Prior to his PhD, he worked with the Portuguese Ministry of Finance and consulted for the World Bank.
- "Are US CEOs Paid More? New International Evidence", with N. Fernandes, M. Ferreira and K. Murphy, The Review of Financial Studies, Vol. 26 (2), pp. 323-367 (February 2013).
- “Generalists versus Specialists: Managerial Skills and CEO Pay”, with C. Custodio and M. Ferreira, Journal of Financial Economics (forthcoming)
- "Universal Banks and Corporate Control: Evidence from the Global Syndicated Loan Market”, with M. Ferreira, The Review of Financial Studies (forthcoming)
- “Corporate Governance in the 2007-2008 Financial Crisis: Evidence from Financial Institutions Worldwide”, by D. Erkens, M. Hung and P. Matos, Journal of Corporate Finance, Vol. 18, pp. 389-411 (April 2012)
- “Payout Policy, Governance and Shareholder Investment Horizons”, by J. Gaspar, M. Massa, P. Matos, R. Patgiri and Z. Rehman, Review of Finance, Vol. 17 (1), pp. 261-320 (January 2013)
- “Does Governance Travel Around the World? Evidence from Institutional Investors”, with R. Aggarwal, I. Erel and M. Ferreira, Journal of Financial Economics, Vol. 100 (1), pp. 154-181 (April 2011)
- “Shareholders at the Gate? Institutional Investors and Cross-Border Mergers and Acquisitions”, with M. Ferreira and M. Massa, Review of Financial Studies, Vol. 23 (2), pp. 601-644 (February 2010)
- “The Colors of Investors’ Money: The Role of Institutional Investors Around the World”, with M. Ferreira, Journal of Financial Economics, Vol. 88 (3), pp. 499-533 (June 2008)
- “Favoritism in Mutual Fund Families? Evidence on Strategic Cross-Fund Subsidization”, with J. Gaspar and M. Massa, The Journal of Finance, Vol. 61 (1), pp. 73-104 (February 2006)
- “Shareholder Investment Horizon and the Market for Corporate Control”, with J. Gaspar and M. Massa, Journal of Financial Economics, Vol. 76 (1), pp. 135-165 (April 2005)
Derivative Securities: Options & Futures
Genzyme and Relational Investors: Science and Business Collide?
Gold as a Portfolio Diversifier: The World Gold Council and Investing in Gold
The Market for Gold: SPDR Gold Shares and Beyond
Betting on Gold Using a Futures-Based Gold ETF