The Term 5 Global MBA for Executives residency is set in India. Five days are spent in the Southern coastal city of Chennai, one day in Agra, four days in the heart of Delhi, and four days in the commercial sister city of Gurgaon.
During Term 5, the following courses are taught by Darden faculty utilizing this term’s focus on key local and multinational companies for further framing the conduct of global business.
- Decision Analysis
- Global Leadership Explorations
- Operations Management
- Strategic Thinking and Action
A typical residency day includes three case method classes (some of which are taught by multiple faculty during a single class session — watch this Darden Team Teaching video to learn more) and learning team meetings in the evening. Throughout the residency, you will also participate in global leadership exploration engagements (examples outlined below) that are closely linked to your coursework.
Please note the following activities are a sample of the residency engagements and are subject to change each year.
- Executive president of the Times of India Group discusses the unusual case of increasing paper-based readership of newspapers in India and the responsibility of the media to encourage, support and direct the younger generations to continue to propel India ahead.
- In conjunction with a marketing case study on Leonardo Oil, the chairman of Leonardo Oil speaks about India’s growing olive oil market.
- Group CFO of Yatra.com leads a discussion on the creation of the second largest India travel website.
- The strategic analytics head of Dunia Finance, based in the UAE, comes to participate in the Dunia finance case discussion and to share learnings.
- Darden alumnni and co-founders of Picante Mexican Grill come to discuss launching, sustaining and growing an entrepreneurial business in India.
- Students visit Maruti/Suzuki auto manufacturing in Gurgaon to study their shared model of leadership and discuss supply chain management with the plant manager and other senior leaders.
- Students take a site tour of the GenPact back office processing operations centers and meet with leadership to discuss their offshoring business model and how the current world economy is affecting offsite operations centers.
- To gain insight into an India-born technology group, students visit Cognizant Technologies Solutions Corporation.
- Students visit Apollo Hospitals to better understand healthcare operations in India and to investigate their new telemedicine program covering all of rural India and one outpost in each African country.
- Students spend part of a day at the Old Delhi Markets in Chandni Chowk.
- To develop an understanding of the ancient dynasties that opened trade routes to India, students visit the Taj Mahal and Agra Fort.
Accommodations in India
Chennai: The Taj Coromandel
Delhi/Gurgaon: Vivanta by Taj Gurgaon