The Global Economies and Markets (GEM) area applies the ideas and methodologies of economics to the analysis of the business environment in which firms operate and managers make decisions. The objective of the First Year GEM course is to help students develop frameworks for analyzing both opportunities and risks when operating in the global business environment.
Darden also offers a variety of international opportunities in the MBA curriculum, including: Global Business Experiences, Global Field Experiences and exchange programs.
Global Economies and Markets: Required
Global Economies and Markets: Electives
Presentation of Electives
Please note: courses are subject to change each year. Consult the course directory for the most up-to-date course offerings.
- International Business Society - The International Business Society is an organization with the aim to bring people of multicultural backgrounds together to share their diverse experiences to grow personally, academically, and professionally. The IBS will actively support the University's efforts in admissions, placement, education and social outlets with a focus on international business issues.
- Emerging Markets Development Club (EMDC) - EMDC helps students discover how business can impact social change in developing societies. They engage with multinationals, social entrepreneurs and impact investors to help for-profit organizations attain mission-oriented objectives. EMDC is also involved in sourcing Global Field Experiences and work opportunities for students interested in international development.
- Asia Business Club at Darden (ABCD) - ABCD strives to maximize the positive impacts that students interested in Asia can provide for the Darden Community. Members pursue this mission by facilitating educational activities that promote the vibrant Asian economy; social activities that heighten cultural awareness of Asia; student life support activities for ABCD members; and admissions, recruitment and alumni relations activities.
- Darden African Business Organization (DABO) - The mission of DABO is to contribute to the learning environment and diversity at Darden by serving as a medium for students and faculty to learn more about African business, economies, politics and culture.
- Darden South Asia Society (DSAS) - DSAS seeks to bring together members of Darden School of Business who are interested in living or working in South Asia post-Darden or at some point in their careers. The club organizes events for members to learn more about the culture and business practices prevalent in the region.
- European Society at Darden (ES) - The European Society promotes awareness of the Darden School of Business in Europe and appreciation of European culture, business and political affairs in the Darden Community.
View the full list of Darden student organizations.