The Darden Career Development Center provides a variety of career resources to help you in your search for a summer internship. The curriculum is also structured to allow you to take electives related to your summer internship in the final term of the First Year.
Internships are a critical part of the Darden experience because they help you:
- gain experience in the job function and/or industry you plan to pursue after graduation
- apply new knowledge and approaches learned during the First Year
- further develop skills that will help you in your full-time job search
If you are a career switcher, a summer internship is an important opportunity to try out and gain experience in a new job function and/or industry.
- Every year, over 95% of Darden students do a summer internship, and a large number of these students come back to Darden in the fall with full-time job offers.
- 80% of students get their internships through on-Grounds recruiting (opportunities from companies who travel to Charlottesville to recruit Darden students).
Internship Companies & Opportunities
The following companies hired five or more Darden students for summer internships in 2013.
Bain & Company, Inc.*
Bank of America
Boston Consulting Group, Inc. (BCG)*
Goldman, Sachs & Co.*
Johnson & Johnson*
*Hired at least one student who does not have permanent U.S. work authorization.
Visit Hiring Companies for a complete list of companies that have hired students for summer internships or full-time jobs.
Alternative Summer Internships
- Darden Business Incubator (DBI): The DBI provides a community of student and faculty support, as well as $13,000 in funding for a select group of students to start business ventures during the summer.
- Batten Venture Internship Program: This program provides Darden students the opportunity to pursue summer internships with venture capital firms or start-ups around the country. To promote and support student involvement with these firms, the Batten Endowment provides a matching stipend to supplement a student’s summer salary.
- Darden Nonprofit Internship Fund (DNIF): Students interested in doing an internship for a nonprofit organization can apply for a stipend through the DNIF to help defray summer living expenses.