How to Apply:
U.S. Citizens and eligible non-citizens of the United States may apply for Federal Loans, Private Loans, or a combination of both. Students who will need a visa to attend Darden will find information by selecting the Options for International Students link. Visit our loan programs page for the terms and conditions of each loan program.
If you will be using Veterans Benefits, please visit our Veterans Benefits page to learn more about VA Benefits at the Darden School.
If you are planning on accepting both federal and private loans, you should follow the federal loan application instructions simultaneously.
Step One: Apply for a Private Loan
- You must apply for private loans directly with the lender(s) of your choice.
- Private student loans will require an application and credit approval, completion of a promissory note, completion of a self-certification form, and possibly other requirements specific to your chosen loan and/or lender; check with your lender to make sure you are aware of and understand all requirements.
Step Two: Inform the University of Virginia of Your Borrowing Choice
- If you have also applied for federal loans, the University cannot certify your private loan until you have made accept/decline decisions on your financial aid package for any federal loans offered.
- If you are only applying for private loans you do not need to file a FAFSA or UFAA, but must inform the Darden Financial Aid Office that you will not be applying for federal loans. You can do so by sending an email from your UVA email account to firstname.lastname@example.org, or by faxing/mailing/bringing a signed statement to the Darden Financial Aid Office.
Options for International Students
Prospective students may find student loans with more favorable terms than the Discover Custom Graduate Loan. Domestic students are encouraged to consider other private and federal student loans, while international students may find alternative private student loan options with a U.S. citizen of Permanent Resident as a co-signer.
Step One: Determine Your Budget
- International students are required to budget an additional $7,000 for a spouse and $4,000 for each additional dependent (per University of Virginia policy, family members cannot be included in the budget when applying for a loan).
Step Two: Complete the Loan Application (Enrolling Students).
- Qualified international and domestic students who are offered admission will be provided with detailed instructions on how to complete the Discover Custom Graduate Loan application process and student visa process.