SY Partner Description
The Second Year Partner role, created during the 2010-11 school year, allows Second Year students to take on an increased level of responsibility within the Community Consultants of Darden organization. This role was created so that CCoD project teams would better mirror real-life consulting teams. Each SY Partner will oversee a project team of FY Consultants and assume many of the responsibilities of a partner at a consulting firm. This role provides an invaluable opportunity to develop critical consulting and leadership skills.
- Partner with VP of Business Development to assess client needs and determine project goals and deliverables
- Support applicant screening and recruiting process for FY Consultants
- Build and maintain client relationship throughout Q1 and Q2
- Define and document project scope
- Develop detailed project plan identifying key milestones and deliverables
- Transition project responsibilities to FY Manager and project team in Q3
- Assume accountability for timely and successful solution delivery
- Act as liaison between FY project team and CCoD leadership to report project status
- Provide performance feedback to FY project team members
Critical Skills Developed through SY Partner Role:
- Develop relationships with clients
- Build, train and lead a team
- Define and scope a consulting project
- Mentor and counsel team members
Application Process & Selection Criteria
CCoD club leadership solicits applications for the SY Partner role in late spring (April/May). The application consists of a professional resume and essay describing your interest in CCoD and qualifications for the SY Partner role. The role is open to all rising Darden SY students, although experience as a FY Consultant in CCoD is encouraged.
We ask that potential applicants review the responsibilities of the SY Partner role and carefully consider other academic, club, and recruiting commitments to evaluate their ability to serve in this position.
Applications will be reviewed and evaluated on the basis of: previous work/volunteer experience, familiarity with the CCoD mission, quality of application essay, and communication skills.
Please contact the current VP of Human Resources for more information.
“I joined CCoD for the opportunity to put what I’d learned at Darden to the test. It’s been a great way to gain exposure to small business operations, give back to the Charlottesville community and interact closely with my classmates. I recommend CCoD to anyone looking to make a real impact and gain valuable experience along the way.”
Matthew Schwartz, Darden Class of 2011
Institute for Shipboard Education Project
“I have been involved with CCoD in lot of different roles over the last two years and I can firmly say that it is one of the most engaging and enriching experiences I’ve had at Darden. I joined CCoD last year as a FY Consultant because I wanted to apply my learning from the Darden classroom in real-time and make an impact on the larger Charlottesville community. This year, as a SY Partner, I gained or improved three skills of a successful manager – inclusiveness, desire to learn and commitment. As a team leader, I learned the importance of including all team members and being open to their ideas. As an individual, I reaffirmed my belief of continuous learning and improvement. Finally, as a representative of Darden, I experienced the impact of commitment on the client’s results.”
Akshay Mittal, Darden Class of 2011
Jack Jouett Middle School Project