Please click here for more information about applying to jobs at the University of Virginia.
Tips on Finding a Job at UVA
- Use the Darden partner network as extensively as possible. A lot of us work at UVA, and among the entire group, we have interviewed at many places around town.
- Research the types of positions you may want to apply for before filling out applications.
- If you know the department you would like to work in (even if it does not currently have a job opening), contact the department head directly and ask if he/she would be willing to meet with you for an informational interview. Department heads are usually willing, and even if they do not have a place for you, they may refer you to someone who does.
- Use the computers in UVA Human Resources or the website: http://www.hrs.virginia.edu
- If the home department is listed in a job posting, you may contact them directly to get your foot in the door. This can be done via phone or cover letter and résumé . You still MUST fill out the UVA form.
- Temporary work is an excellent way to get your foot in the door at UVA. If you are applying for temporary positions, call the HR temp hotlines about three days after your application has been turned in to the office. This is the quickest and easiest way to obtain a temporary assignment. The staff looks at your application right then and there and tries to find a match for you.
- It is hard to temp 40 hours a week and also look for another job. The departments, however, are very flexible and let you take time off to interview as needed.
- You are required to give your temp job five days' notice before you leave.
- Return often to the UVA HR website to search for new positions.
- Most departments on campus will readily hire partners. They realize the talent pool is great, and it is a hard two-year commitment, whereas other people might leave inside that window.