CVG/Entrenet Annual Business Forum
A MUST ATTEND for Darden students interested in starting their own business. This two day event at Darden covers everything one needs to know about starting a business, writing a business plan, and networking with industry professionals.
Sources of Business Ideas
- UVA Medical Center - The UVA Medical Center is a premier research facility and frequently spins off businesses. They make an effort to stay connected with the Darden community, making it relatively easy to find opportunities. Members of the Medical Center often give talks on grounds and participate in the Darden Business Concept and Business Plan Competitions.
- UVA Patent Foundation – Many businesses have formulated in the past years via technologies created here at the university. After such technologies have been created, and patented, the UVA patent foundation is responsible for licensing such technologies to faculty members, and students, who are interested in developing such technologies for business purposes.
- Spinner Technologies - Specializes in supporting the development of technology businesses, as a for-profit subsidiary of the University of Virginia Patent Foundation. As such, Spinner draws upon the Patent Foundation's substantial licensing, management and financing expertise in servicing the needs of member companies.
- Virginia Gateway - Provides contacts and resources for inventors here at UVA. who may have a product or an invention that they wish to take to market, or a company they may wish to establish, and for investors looking to sponsor research of this kind.
- M·CAM, Inc. – M·CAM is a full-service intellectual property rights actuarial company dedicated to developing, enabling and promoting uniform accountability and quality standards for the granting, use, and disposal of such rights in the global economy. CEO Dr. David E. Martin is world renowned in his field and is a fellow of the Batten Institute at Darden.
- Engineering School - Like the Medical Center, the UVA Engineering School frequently spins off startup businesses and reaches out for help with projects and the Business Concept & Plan Competitions.
Charlottesville Business Organizations
- Charlottesville Venture Group - Like the Medical Center, the UVA Engineering School frequently spins off startup businesses and reaches out for help with projects and the Business Concept & Plan Competitions.
- Virginia SBDC Network - Like the Medical Center, the UVA Engineering School frequently spins off startup businesses and reaches out for help with projects and the Business Concept & Plan Competitions.
- Service Corps of Retired Executives (SCORE) - SCORE is a nonprofit association dedicated to entrepreneur education and the formation, growth, and success of small business nationwide. SCORE is a resource partner with the U.S. Small Business Administration.
- Company of Friends - The Company of Friends is a network of entrepreneurs associated with Fast Company magazine. The local chapter meets monthly for a social event or talk at one of its members' community businesses.
- Virginia Piedmont Technology Council - now offering student memberships. http://vptc.org/member-students.htm.