Websites and Publications of Interest
Company / Industry Research
- MBA Jungle – great overview of the industry, pros / cons, etc.
- The Vault – this resource provides company specific recruiting and background information along with a message board for various industries and functions.
- Wet Feet Press
General Industry News
Online Periodicals and Case Studies
Other University of Virginia Student Healthcare Interest Groups
- Standard & Poor Industry Overview - this guide is located in the library, providing excellent overview data on major companies within the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industries, among others
Job Search Internet Sites
- Health Care Job Store – has a big main site and many niche sites depending on your area of interest
- Monster Healthcare – previously Medsearch, now under Monster.com and has lots of good positions
- PharmNet – international job opportunities posting
- Boston.com - Boston area and national biotech and healthcare search capabilities
Darden Faculty with Health Care Interests
Ruffin Professor of Business Ethics
Chair, Doctoral Program Operating Committee
Batten Institute Fellow, Guest Lecturer
Cindy Collier, MHA, MSA, CPA, ABV, CVA, is the Chief Executive Officer and Founder of Valuation Solutions located in Columbus, Ohio. With over 20 years of experience in the health care field, and over 10 years of full-time professional valuation experience, Ms. Collier provides valuation and strategic financial management consulting services to health care providers throughout the United States. Her professional consulting services focus on health care business valuation, fair market valuation of physician services, fairness opinions, arbitration and mediation, mergers & acquisitions, financial analysis and research, strategic management, physician integration, purchase and/or sale of medical practices and hospitals, and litigation support. Ms. Collier's clients include a variety of physician practices, university and community hospitals, medical device companies, healthcare technology companies, medical service providers, pharmaceutical and biotech companies, integrated delivery systems, professional associations, attorneys, consultants, and managed care payers.
Associate Professor of Business Administration
Elizabeth Olmsted Teisberg is an economist with expertise in strategy and innovation. Her current research focuses on innovation in health care. Earlier projects have analyzed strategy in medical device and biotechnology companies, the real option value of capital investments, research and development decisions, medical innovation, and how managers consider and respond to uncertainty. Teisberg is the author or co-author of numerous articles in professional publications such as the Harvard Business Review, Rand Journal of Economics, Management Science, the Energy Journal, Research-Technology Management, Interfaces and Science. She is a co-author of The Portable MBA, which has been published in five languages.
Director of Entrepreneurship Programs
Philippe Sommer will lead the expansion of Batten Institute’s program for developing entrepreneurs. Prior to joining Batten, Philippe was President and Founder of Alsacia & Sommer, Inc., which consults on strategy and funding for early stage med-tech companies. He was a founding partner of WestMed Venture Funds, publicly registered investment companies affiliated with CIBC/Oppenheimer, Inc. and was director of business development at Pfizer Inc., in the Medical Products Group. Philippe has extensive experience in fund management, private investments, M&A, licensing, and technology transfer.