Education: B.A., Renmin University of China; M.Sc., Hong Kong University of Science and Technology; Ph.D., University of British Columbia
Ting Xu is an assistant professor of finance at the University of Virginia, Darden School of Business. His research focuses on entrepreneurial finance, FinTech and the governance of closely-held firms. His work has explored the feedback role of crowdfunding, the effect of job-protected leave on entrepreneurship and the ownership structure of private firms. His work has been published in leading academic journals, such as the Review of Financial Studies, and has been featured in news outlets such as Bloomberg and Politico. His research has received funding from Canadian Securities Institute Research Foundation and Canadian Foundation for Governance Research.
At Darden, he teaches "Financial Management and Policies." Before that, he taught "Corporate Finance" at the University of British Columbia, where he received a Ph.D. in finance. He also holds a B.A. in finance from Renmin University of China and an M.Sc. in economics from the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology.
Ting Xu's Ideas to Action Posts
Competition and Ownership Structure of Closely-Held Firms, with Jan Bena. Review of Financial Studies (2017) 30(5): 1583-1626.
Do Excess Control Rights Benefit Creditors? Evidence from Dual-Class Firms. Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, forthcoming.
Investor Tax Credits and Entrepreneurship: Evidence from U.S. States (NBER WP No. 27751), with Matthew Denes, Sabrina Howell, Filippo Mezzanotti, and Xinxin Wang (This paper subsumes two prior working papers: Denes, Wang, and Xu (2019) and Howell and Mezzanotti (2019) ).
- Best Paper Award, Mid-Atlantic Research Conference in Finance 2020
- 13th Annual Northwestern Conference on Innovation Economics, EFA, FIRS, MFA, NFA, 3rd Junior Entrepreneurial Finance and Innovation Workshop
- Revise & resubmit, Review of Financial Studies
- NBER Entrepreneurship, NBER Corporate Finance, AFA, AEA, Southern California PE Conference, MFA
- Coverage: BBC, NPR, Bloomberg, Ozy, Politico, Equitable Growth. Summary in SIEPR Policy Brief.
- AFA, EFA, USC CETAFE, IZA/Kauffman Entrepreneurship Workshop