Batten Institute - Ventures - i.Lab Incubator
The i.Lab Incubator provides a goal-oriented, guided-learning program for student founders of innovative ventures. The incubator is an initiative of the Batten Institute at the University of Virginia Darden School of Business, which has sponsored an early-stage, summer incubator program for over twenty years.
Suited to founders who are at the stage of testing, iterating, and validating solutions to perceived problems, the incubator facilitates accelerated learning and venture growth. The program offers an immersive experience for founders with a passion for addressing problems with meaningful solutions. At a minimum, founders need some version of the solution, or minimum viable product (MVP), to participate.
Reference the 2023 iLab Incubator Syllabus
View the venture profiles of current and previous cohorts.
- Grant funding for each venture (amount varies between virtual and in-person formats)
- Core workshops, online resources and special events
- Legal guidance on incorporation
- Mentorship and advisory support from experienced founders and industry experts
- Access to community and connections
- Immersion in the principles of effectuation
- Offered in two formats: virtual and in-person
- Eligibility to apply for the Kathryne Carr Award for Entrepreneurial Excellence
- Minimum viable product/service (an “MVP” or version 1) and consistent product/service development for the duration of the program
- Continued focus on iterating the product/service
- Progress on plan to accomplish goals, outcomes, and deliverables
- Attendance at key events and workshops
- Regular check-ins and participation
- Being a positive and contributing member of and resource to the cohort
- Active participation during summer phase of program (1 June - 10 August)
- Full-time focus on the venture, not concurrent with a job or internship
* Reference the syllabus for a complete overview of benefits and program expectations.
Note: Teams without current UVA students should consider the Catalyst Accelerator Program.
- 23 January 2023: Online application opens
- 30 January 2023: Application submission deadline (11:59 p.m. EST)
- 8 February 2023: Applicant interviews with staff. Backup date - 10 Feb
- 5 April 2023: Round Two application opens | View Application
- 18 April 2023: Online workshop | Register
- 24 April 2023: Round Two submission deadline (11:59pm EST)
- 2 May 2023: Round Two interviews
- March through May: (U)nderstand phase, including legal support, MVP finalization, mentor engagement and (V)alidate phase plan
- June through early August: (V)alidate phase, including workshops, check-ins, one-on-one sessions, and focused MVP iteration
- September through November: (A)ccelerate phase, with on-going check-ins and engagement