Learn to use insights from data analytics as a value driver for your organization. Identify challenges and opportunities facing data-driven organizations and apply strategies for leveraging data science to create competitive advantage.
This program is part of a three-program series designed to foster data-savvy organizations.
Presented by Darden Executive Education and UVA Data Science
Offered as part of a three-program series, Strategic Use of Data is led by thought leaders from both UVA Darden Executive Education and UVA Data Science, recognized as experts in data science techniques and tools, and the application of those in the modern business context. The other two programs in this series are:
Each program may be taken as a stand alone course, or you may take all three programs to gain a unique and comprehensive perspective on data science in business.
This program will engage participants in the process of identifying strategic data analytic opportunities and challenges, defining metrics and evaluating their effectiveness, and how insights from data can help shape and guide their organization.
- Participate in case study and group discussions designed to provide exposure to the practical application of methodologies used to examine and leverage data.
- Featured topics and tools include metrics and mental models, return on investment, data driven business models, and design thinking.
- Explore the economics issues around data science, such as globalization and international markets, ethics, law and policy.
Schedule and Session Topics
The first day of the program will run from approximately 8:15am-5:00pm. The second day will run from approximately 8:30am-3:45pm. Sessions include:
- Introduction to Data Science, Process and Approach
- Data Driven Digital Transformation
- Action to Consequence Mapping
- Leading in the Digital Age
- Design Thinking and Organizational Transformation
- Data Integrity and Ethics
Impact & Outcomes
- Identify performance metrics to be used to measure return on investment of data analytic initiatives.
- Map the appropriate analytic tools to the desired customer insights.
- Interpret results of data analytic efforts and translate them into meaningful business decisions.
- Formulate appropriate questions based on a stronger knowledge of the available analytical techniques and technological solutions to data science challenges.
- Discover innovative ways to address problems using data science techniques.
- Understand the lifelong learning approach required to stay current on the application of data science methods for business problems due to the rapidly changing nature of the technological landscape.
Designed for both business professionals who are looking to increase their knowledge of data science and how it can help them in their current roles, and business leaders who are looking to create data-savvy teams and improve the performance of their departments and the company overall.
Founding Director, UVA School of Data Science, W.S. Calcott Professor, Department of Systems and Information Engineering
UVA Darden DC Metro
1100 Wilson Boulevard
Materials and some meals are included in your program fee.
Accommodations are not included in the program fee and should be arranged by the participant. Recommended accommodations include:
Hyatt Centric Arlington
1325 Wilson Boulevard, Arlington, Virginia, 22209
Tel: +1 703 525 1234
Le Méridien Arlington
1121 North 19th Street, Arlington, VA 22209
Marriott Key Bridge
1401 Lee Highway, Arlington, VA 22209