Learn to use insights from data analytics as a value driver for your organization. Identify challenges and opportunities facing data-driven organizations and apply strategies for leveraging data science to create competitive advantage.
Live virtual sessions will be Mondays and Tuesdays from 12:00–3:30p.m. EDT.
Presented by Darden Executive Education, UVA Data Science, and UVA McIntire School of Commerce
Looking for the Fall 2021 in-person course? Click here.
Offered as part of a three-program series, Strategic Use of Data is led by thought leaders from UVA Darden Executive Education, UVA Data Science and UVA McIntire School of Commerce; recognized as experts in data science techniques and tools, and the application of those in the modern business context. The other two programs in this series are:
Each program may be taken as a stand alone course, or you may take all three programs to gain a unique and comprehensive perspective on data science in business.
Identify the strategic challenges and opportunities facing you and your organization, create a plan to use analytics and data science to compete and win, and lead your team or organization with confidence in the data-intensive future of business. Through case studies, group discussion, and workshops, you will explore:
- Ways that data, analytics, and technology are disrupting entire industries, and creating unique strategic challenges and opportunities for companies and leaders,
- Frameworks and approaches for translating strategic challenges and opportunities into actionable initiatives that are powered by analytics and data science,
- Methods of thinking and working that are agile, iterative and engaging to stakeholders that are a critical part of transformation,
- Ethical issues that are a part of every data-intensive activity and that every business leader must thoughtfully consider.
Schedule and Session Topics
The first day of the program will run from approximately 8:15am-5:00pm. The second day will run from approximately 8:30am-3:45pm. Sessions include:
- Introduction to Data Science, Process and Approach
- Data Driven Digital Transformation
- Action to Consequence Mapping
- Leading in the Digital Age
- Design Thinking and Organizational Transformation
- Data Integrity and Ethics
Impact & Outcomes
- Identify performance metrics to be used to measure return on investment of data analytic initiatives.
- Map the appropriate analytic tools to the desired customer insights.
- Interpret results of data analytic efforts and translate them into meaningful business decisions.
- Formulate appropriate questions based on a stronger knowledge of the available analytical techniques and technological solutions to data science challenges.
- Discover innovative ways to address problems using data science techniques.
- Understand the lifelong learning approach required to stay current on the application of data science methods for business problems due to the rapidly changing nature of the technological landscape.
Designed for both business professionals who are looking to increase their knowledge of data science and how it can help them in their current roles, and business leaders who are looking to create data-savvy teams and improve the performance of their departments and the company overall. We encourage strategic leaders, business analysts and IT managers from across your organization to attend together to accelerate collaboration.
The Strategic Use of Data program counts as one program toward a Darden Certificate in Data Science for Business Strategy. Complete this program and the other two qualifying programs to earn your certificate.
Founding Director, UVA School of Data Science, W.S. Calcott Professor, Department of Systems and Information Engineering
The program is conducted entirely online through live Zoom sessions and on-demand assignments and exercises.
Request a Consultation
Please complete the following to submit a request for consultation about this program or to discuss your development needs.