This event was co-hosted by the Investment Company Institute and the University of Virginia Darden School of Business' Richard A. Mayo Center for Asset Management.
Symposium Date and Location
21–22 February 2019
UVA Darden Sands Family Grounds
Keynote Speaker: CFA Institute Sponsored Luncheon
Bill McNabb, Chairman and CEO, Vanguard
F. William McNabb III is chairman and CEO of Vanguard. McNabb joined Vanguard in 1986, became CEO in 2008, and chairman of the board of directors and the board of trustees in 2010. Previously, he led each of Vanguard’s client-facing business divisions. McNabb is active in the investment management industry and serves as the chairman of the Investment Company Institute. He also serves as chairman of the board of directors of the Zoological Society of Philadelphia and on the board of the United Way of Greater Philadelphia and Southern New Jersey, the Wharton Leadership Advisory Board, and the Dartmouth Athletics Advisory Board. McNabb earned an A.B. at Dartmouth College and an MBA at the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania.
The one-day conference consisted of a lunch-time keynote speaker, two panel discussions and four invited academic papers. Academic papers were presented by the author and had a practitioner discussant and an academic discussant.
- ESG Investing
- Asset Management and Governance: Voting and Voice
- Coordinated Engagements, by Elroy Dimson, Oğuzhan Karakaş and Xi Li
- Do Investors Value Sustainability? A Natural Experiment Examining Rankings and Fund Flows, by Samuel M. Hartzmark and Abigail B. Sussman
- Picking Friends Before Picking (Proxy) Fights: How Mutual Fund Voting Shapes Proxy Contests, by Alon Brav, Wei Jiang and Tao Li
- The Life Cycle of Dual-Class Firms, by Martijn Cremers, Beni Lauterbach and Anete Pajuste
- Practitioners from major mutual fund and ETF providers
- Academics whose research focuses on asset management
- Regulators and policymakers from SEC, Treasury and others