Build happier, more functional teams to achieve significant gains in productivity.
- Develop teams who are more efficient, effective and flexible, to meet the demands of a changing world.
- Learn techniques for coaching Olympic-level teams, designed to inspire commitment, loyalty and pride while striving toward a shared goal.
- Practice skills in leadership and communication through peer workshops and daily rowing to prepare for challenges back at the office.
Become a more sensitive and powerful leader through self-diagnosis, expert change management strategies, peer workshops and daily sweep rowing experiences led by Olympic rower Dan Lyons and his team of coaches.
- Embrace listening as a key leadership skill, and practice offering constructive feedback.
- Discuss real-life scenarios and specific personal challenges around such topics as: bridging differences within teams, driving change and growth with teamwork, learning to coach instead of direct.
- Learn to visualize and communicate organizational goals to inspire buy-in.
- Bring it all together when you compete a full racing shell with a group of your peers.
There are no prerequisites for participation. Advanced preparation includes:
- Pre-reading Case Studies
The selected case studies, assessments, and exercises will be sent prior to the program for all participants to read and prepare for discussion on the first day of the course.
Outcomes & Impact
- Design team structures that maximize output without overextending individuals.
- Assess and applaud the talents of individuals, and determine which tasks will suit them best.
- Discover which of your personal skills are most helpful in competitive and collaborative situations.
- Foster a culture of collaboration and innovation.
This program is designed for:
- Executives and leaders responsible for enhancing growth, innovation or organization-wide performance.
- Mid-to-senior level project, unit or division managers.
In order to be awarded full credit hours, you must be present for the entirety of the program.
Daniel K. Lyons
World Gold Medalist and Olympian in Rowing , Founder and President of Team Concepts Inc. , Founder of Champions of Hope Inc.
Continuing Professional Education (CPE) Sponsorship
UVA Darden Executive Education offers continuing education credits as part of our commitment to encourage lifelong learning.
- Instructional Delivery: Group Live
- CPE Credits: 25.0
- Field of Study: Personal Development
- Program Level: Beginner
Refund/Cancelation/Concern Resolution Policy:
All cancellations and transfers must be received in writing. Submit your request via email to [email protected] with the name of the program, followed by "cancellation" or "transfer" in the subject line. Cancellation or transfer fees may apply. Visit our Registration & FAQ page for full details on transfers and cancellations.
If you have any questions, concerns or complaints, please contact us at 1-434-924-3000 or [email protected] to resolve your issue.
UVA Darden School Foundation - Executive Education is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State boards of accountancy have final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Concerns regarding registered sponsors may be submitted to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors through its website: www.nasbaregistry.org.
Darden School of Business
100 Darden Blvd.
Charlottesville, Virginia 22903
Daily rowing practice will be held at the Rivanna Reservoir Boathouse on the Rivanna River. Transportation to and from the boathouse is provided.
Lodging & Transportation
Accommodations are included for program participants. Darden has secured a block of rooms for this program at:
2100 Bond Street
Charlottesville, VA 22901
Hotel accommodations includes breakfast, wifi, and free parking at the hotel.
Darden will also provide free daily shuttle service between the hotel and Darden Grounds throughout the course of the program.