4 women students

Diversity at Darden

MBA - Culture and Community - Diversity at Darden - Women

Women

Darden women make a significant impact every day — at Darden, in Charlottesville and around the world. They are club presidents — currently leading over half of Darden's student clubs — community leaders, entrepreneurs and more. Darden is committed to recruiting women who want to positively impact the world, and empowering them for long-term success in whatever role they choose.

Over the course of two years at Darden and as a lifelong member of the alumni network, you will be able to take advantage of mentorship, alumni and career development resources, and you will develop skills critical to gaining respect as a business leader. Darden’s distinctive case method of instruction — designed to strengthen students' confidence in their communication, decision-making and teamwork skills — and experiential learning opportunities create a great learning environment for women.

darden mba women sitting in a circle in a classroom

Finding Your Voice at Darden

Meet five women from Darden who talk about the challenges they faced — and the successes they found — as they worked to find their voices in business school.

Below you will be able to meet some of Darden's female leaders, learn about the student and partner organizations that support our female students and peruse a collection of resources developed particularly for women. Be sure to check out the Graduate Women in Business (GWIB) club page for recent conversations with current students about various aspects of the Darden experience. 

• Graduate Women in Business

Graduate Women in Business (GWIB) 

Darden’s chapter of Graduate Women in Business (GWIB) promotes the role of professional women by developing a greater appreciation for issues of diversity among men, women, faculty and administration. GWIB provides resources related to women’s issues in pursuing a career in business and helps students create and build their professional and personal networks.  

On the (GWIB) club page you will find webinars with students exploring various aspects of the Darden experience. 

Meet Anika Kempe, President, Graduate Women in Business

anika kempe
    Anika Kempe, Class of 2024
    President, GWIB

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Hometown: Mercersburg, PA

Undergrad Institution: University of Richmond

Undergrad Major(s): Journalism, Political Science

Pre-MBA Industry/Functional Area: Healthcare communications & marketing  

Areas of Career Interest: Tech, Marketing

Darden Clubs and Leadership Roles: President of Graduate Women in Business (GWIB), Section A Rep ’22-23, member of Community Consultants of Darden, Darden Technology Club, Darden Outdoors Club, Business Ethics at Darden

Why Darden? Coming from a non-traditional background, I was looking for a business school that paired academic rigor with a community-focused culture of inclusivity and growth. Darden’s classroom experience is unparalleled—it uplifts diverse perspectives, encourages innovative thinking, and reframes learning as real-time problem-solving. The core curriculum and case method have profoundly changed the ways in which I think about business concepts and leadership principles. Outside of the classroom, Darden and its community have been nothing short of transformative—both personally and professionally.

Meet Alison Neveu, VP Admissions, Graduate Women in Business

alison neveu
    Alison Neveu, Class of 2024
    VP of Admissions, GWIB

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Hometown: Thousand Oaks, CA

Undergrad Institution: Amherst College

Undergrad Major(s): Economics and Spanish

Pre-MBA Industry/Functional Area: Transfer Pricing

Areas of Career Interest: Consulting

Darden Clubs and Leadership Roles: VP of Admissions - Graduate Women in Business (GWIB), VP of Education - Consulting Club, Forte Fellow, Impact Fellow, Community Consultants of Darden

Why Darden? Two main reasons: the quality of the education and the community. Darden consistently has the best educational experience due to its top-tier faculty and commitment to the case method. Learning through the case method, although intimidating at first, is a great way to find your voice in the classroom and improve communication skills before entering the business world. Secondly, the community here at Darden is extremely strong. Through Darden Cup with your sections, affinity groups, and Cold Calls on Thursday evenings, I believe Darden sets itself apart with how interactive and inclusive the community-building activities are.

• Partnerships

Forté

At Darden, we are committed to women's leadership, and since its inception have proudly partnered with Forté - a non-profit working to launch women into successful and significant careers.  Through Forté's alliance of leading companies, top schools and pioneering donors, we empower women to rise higher.  All female students at Darden get Forté's Premium Access Pass membership for FREE. Forté's community of 100,000+ motivated and inspiring women is changing the balance of power in the workplace.  

Through the admissions process, exceptional female candidates are selected to receive a Darden School Foundation-funded Forté Fellowship. Along with the prestige of receiving this scholarship, Forté fellows gain access to exclusive Forté benefits, such as skill-building workshops, leadership conferences, networking opportunities, job postings and more. 

APPLICATION FEE WAIVER

Forté MBALaunch members (If you have been accepted into the Forté MBALaunch program, your application fee waiver will be applied automatically upon submission of your application. You do not need to provide any further payment information.)

Access

Access (formerly Admit.me) is a free MBA admissions resource tailored for women and URMs. Its focus is helping prospective students through the admissions process by providing resources created by top MBA grads and admissions representatives.

Application Fee Waiver

If you are an Acess Fellow, you are eligible for an application fee waiver for Darden's Full-Time MBA program. The waiver will be applied automatically upon submission of your application. You do not need to provide any further payment information.

• Prospective Student Resources

Graduate Women in Business (GWIB) 

Darden’s chapter of Graduate Women in Business (GWIB) promotes the role of professional women by developing a greater appreciation for issues of diversity among men, women, faculty and administration. GWIB provides resources related to women’s issues in pursuing a career in business and helps students create and build their professional and personal networks.

1:1 Program for Prospective Student Women

Darden is known for having a tight-knit community. In order to give you a more personalized introduction, the Graduate Women in Business Club and the Office of Admissions are pleased to offer the 1:1 Program for Prospective Student Women. If you have questions regarding the 1:1 program, please contact Director of Women’s Recruiting Haley Whitlock Gyory

The program will pair you with a current female student mentor in late summer so that you can have a one-on-one connection with a member of the Darden community. Previous participants have found that this is a fantastic way to learn about the School, the student community and the many academic opportunities and resources. 

Victoria Nowak
    Victoria Nowak, Class of 2024

"Darden’s 1:1 Program made a significant difference in both my Darden application process and my final decision of where to pursue my MBA. Having a trusted and designated mentor allowed me to ask all of my questions and determine the ways in which Darden could be a good fit for my journey. The entire application process felt less intimidating with the support of my mentor as she was there to bounce ideas off of for my essays, prepare for interviews and help me put my best foot forward. Ultimately, when it came down to deciding which school would be the best fit for me, my mentor was there to talk through my different school options and help answer any remaining questions so I could make the best decision for my future." -- Victoria Nowak, Class of 2024

UVA Resources for Women 

Women@Darden: In the News

Featured Alumnae